Tanzania High Commission in Abuja, Nigeria is the office in charge of diplomatic activities between the Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and those of Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Liberia, The Gambia and Togo. The mission also represents the country in AfDB & ECOWAS
The High Commission main pre-occupation is to promote Tanzania's economic and other interests. In this regard, the High Commission represents Tanzania’s interests in a range of areas, including, trade, finance, investment, tourism, as well as education, tourism and culture. It reaches out to potential investors, businesses, governmental and non-governmental entities, among others, in the area of accreditation and encouraging them to do business with Tanzania, visit tourist attractions, or do such other things with the aim of strengthening ties with Tanzania.
Tanzania is a country endowed with worldwide renowned tourist attractions i.e. Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Selous Game Reserve, the historic ruins of Bagamoyo and Kilwa and the beautiful Spice Islands of Zanzibar with its famous pristine beaches. And last but not least the home of the Kiswahili language.
Economically Tanzania is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Over last decade we have experienced an average of 7% GDP growth mostly due from our vast natural resource wealth and tourism. Recent discoveries of natural gas on land and offshore also discoveries of helium gas have made Tanzania one of the most vibrant economies in the region.
The High Commissioner is also accredited to the Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau and Mauritania and the Mission provides consular services to Tanzanian nationals living in the area of our accreditation.
The High Commission strives to promote investments, trade, tourism and other fields in a manner that would enhance Tanzania’s prosperity.
The High Commissio'n responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
A. Political Matters
- Maintenance, promotion and expansion of good political relations between Tanzania and Nigeria (and also Benin, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau and Mauritania)
- Promotion and defense of the political and economic interests of Tanzania in Nigeria (and also Benin, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau and Mauritania)
- Promotion and defense of the interests of Tanzanian citizens in Nigeria (and also Benin, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau and Mauritania)
B. Consular Matters
- Visa issuance
- Renewal of passports for Tanzania nationals abroad
- Passport replacements for Tanzania national abroad
- Issuance of Emergence Travel documents (ETD) to Tanzania nationals in distress abroad
- Receiving and forwarding of citizenship renunciation application forms and corresponding certificates
- Passport endorsements
- Providing advisory services to Tanzania nationals in problems.
B: Commercial activities
D. Other Matters
- Represents the country in AfDB & ECOWAS
- Facilitating co-operation between NGOs in Tanzania and NGOs in the area of our accreditation
- Promoting cultural exchanges between Tanzania and other countries in the area of our accreditation
- Educational and Scientific cooperation